Things you need to know to celebrate Shabbat in the Reform tradition:
- The Friday evening meal is traditionally chicken, noodles, vegetables, and challah. This book has plenty of recipes to get you started: The Taste of Shabbos
- Grape juice can be substituted for wine. Kedem is a brand of Kosher grape juice.
- Shabbat candles must be left to burn until they burn out by themselves.
- It’s traditional for the women to light the candles and recite the blessings. (You can start with the blessing for lighting candles, the blessing over the wine, and the Motsi until you’re ready for more.)
- It’s customary to break off a piece of the challah, rather than cutting a slice for each person.